Information – Located, Gathered and Listed for your viewing and comments by Lupus Symptoms In Women – Systemic Lupus Erythematosus ( SLE ) Information Site – See Index of Pages & Posts
Some of this information may only be loosely associated to Lupus and its Symptoms, Causes and Treatments. The information gathered has not been veryfied.
Here we will look at the benefits of fish oil and the medical studies that show they can prevent disease, help us live longer, keep us younger and increase vitality.
A regular daily dose of fish oil gives us massive health benefits so lets look at them.
We all remember cod liver oil
Growing up I can remember a single event which helped to create a dislike for fish most of my youthful years. That was taking Cod Liver Oil. Mostly it was not deodorized, and created a rather negative impression.
However, I realize that the robust health I enjoyed as a child and teen-ager can most likely be traced back to the daily dose of CLO!
Fish oil sources
Naturally, one may eat the fish (salmon, sardines, mackeral, etc) and get some benefits of fish oil, but modern pharmacology has learned to purify and concentrate (as well as deodorize) such oil, and makes the same available in effective dosages.
Study after study on the effects of fish oil has some startling conclusions:
• Fish oil is basically safe, and has very few, if any side effects, other than the positive ones claimed.
• Fish oil, as purified has pollutants and toxics removed. In nature, even wild and deep water fish show signs of PCB and other highly toxic chemicals in their tissue. The pharmaceutical grade of fish oil has negligible amounts of any impurities.
• People who have higher does of saturated fats (Omega-6) to the unsaturated ones (Omega-3, as found in fish oil) are generally less healthy, die earlier and are ill while alive.
Why is in fish oil that is so good for us?
Fish oil contains large amounts of EPA and DHA which are the principal omega-3 fatty acids. EPA stands for eicosapentaenoic acid while DHA is docosahexaenoic acid.
Scientists and doctors know these to be essential fatty acids. As they are essential, without them we can die.
On the other hand, modern day food processing fill our diets with Trans-Fatty acids, and saturated fatty acids (Omega-6 that is found in meat, for example), which are most likely responsible for the pandemic of cancer and other life debilitating diseases.
Fish and fish oil have only unsaturated fatty acids. The differences and benefits Between Omega 3 & 6
Although there are minor differences in the Omega-3 and Omega-6 groups, they are quite different when metabolized in the body. Omega-6 acids appear to cause inflammation, tumor growth and blood clotting, while the omega-3 acids act entirely the opposite.
Although we do need both omega-3s and omega-6s the ratio of both has forever been relatively equal 1:1.
A global change in our dietary habits recently has changed this ratio to something closer to 20 parts of Omega-6 to one part Omega-3.
Many scientists and the medical community now believe that this imbalance of saturated to unsaturated fats are a major reason for the high incidence of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, premature aging, and many forms of cancer.
It is not possible to cite all the studies made, but summarizing one can say that the addition of about 500 to 2,500mg per day of pharmaceutical grade fish oil can do some or all the following for everyone (from children to advanced geriatrics)
• Increase memory function, or help impaired ones (as in Alzheimer’s and dementia)
• Modify the behavior of over-active children
• Help clear the arteries of cholesterol and ameliorate or reverse atherosclerosis, angina, heart attack, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease, and generally prevent heart disease.
• Reduce inflammation and can be of great benefit to people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or ulcerative colitis.
• Delay or reduce tumor development in breast cancer, and other forms of cancer as well.
• Benefit people with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), a chronic inflammatory disease.
• Bolster the immune system
• Generally increase life-span and quality of your life.
Fish oil benefits are numerous and everyone should consider taking a dietary supplement or increasing their oily fish intake.
About the Author
More FREE information on fish oil and other nutrition
For other general information on fish oil and its positive effects as well as articles on al, aspects of nutrition and diet visit website for free articles, magazines, downloads and much more